A comparison between IIT and IIIT(Hyderabad)
This post is for those who want to get some idea of the two type institutes and esp for those who have got a rank in both but are confused to make a choice.
What do you want in future?
- A job paying much more than the average industry.(Preferred by most)
- Go for an MBA(But still want your options open in an industry).(Second choice)
- Go for higher studies in your field.
Now what should you choose when you have a rank in JEE, a confirm seat in IIIT-H or a seat in NIT.
Again, lets see what you are getting
- A CS/electronics in IIT, CS in IIIT-H (IIIT-H has CSE and ECE)(This is least probable for you cos if you have this then you probabaly wouldn't have bothered to search,)
- A non-CS and non-electronics in IIT, CS in IIIT-H
With a rank in JEE which couldn't fetch you CS/ECE, go for IIIT-H. IIIT-H has a brand in CS which can not be compared with that in IIT-B,IIT-D or IIT-K, but is comparable to the others(REE/Kgp/Guwahati) and might be better than them in many cases.
With IT emerging, most of the jobs which the chemical/mechanical/civil/others students get are in Infosys/Wipro/TCS etc which don't pay as high as an MNC does. So being a CS student does matters. A CS from IIIT is much better than non-CS/ECE from IIT from that perspective.
On the other hand if you want to pursue higher studies, like an MBA or Masters(in your subject) in a Foreign University then go for IIT. IIT has a brand image out there in foreign universities(which IIIT still lacks) and it definitely helps. If you are more likely to end up completing your masters from India then it doesnt matter what place you did your bachelors be it IIT or IIIT.(What matters is your performance in the graduation college and your score and interview in the Master's entrance).
All in all I will rank the items in order here –
- IIT – if you are getting CS or ECE.
- IIIT-H – if you are not getting CS or ECE and even if you are getting CS in any NIT.
- IIT brand is more powerful than IIIT-H but having only a more-branded name on you need not make you more in demand.